Home » Disorders » Eating Disorders » Possible Recurrence of Eating Disorder

Possible Recurrence of Eating Disorder

I used to be bulimic. I have been better for 12 years but had bulimia for about 9 years. I do not really think I would ever make myself sick again but lately I have been experiencing some of the same feelings and obsessions as before. I weigh myself several times a day and this determines my mood. I weigh all my food to calculate how much I can have as I am actively trying to lose weight. I hate what I see when I look in the mirror an feel real disgust at my body. I am overweight but feel obese. I have to try really hard not to binge. I do not know whether I should go to my GP or not. I just don’t want to get really bad again…

Possible Recurrence of Eating Disorder

A.

You have described warning signs that indicate a possible recurrence of your eating disorder. It’s best to proactively seek help. This is especially true in the case of eating disorders. Eating disorders can lead to potentially life-threatening physical health conditions. Now is precisely the time for you to return to your doctor.

You might be battling your eating disorder for a long time. It’s important that you both recognize the symptoms of recurrence and actively seek help when they emerge. Proactively seeking help will minimize the negative health consequences of your eating disorder.

You mentioned your GP (general practitioner) but not a mental health professional. In addition to seeing your GP, counseling is recommended for eating disorders. Cognitive therapy might be particularly beneficial for you, because it targets the irrational thoughts that often accompany eating disorders. For instance, you stated that you are overweight but feel obese. It’s irrational to feel obese if you are not obese. Feelings are not the best indicators of the truth. Cognitive therapy can help you focus on reality and adjust your emotions accordingly.

It seems as though you have previously responded to treatment. That increases the likelihood of your succeeding in the future. I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.

Possible Recurrence of Eating Disorder