Home » Ask the Therapist » I Am Scared of My Dad

I Am Scared of My Dad

My dad threatens to beat me whenever I do something wrong and he’s always insulting me and telling me I’m a disappointment. He and my mom split up and ever since I moved in with him this past June, things have gotten worse and he threatens me even more. I want to move out and apply for welfare, but I am scared when I tell him I am moving out he will turn those threats into actions. He has hit me when I was younger, but only a few times. Now that I am older, he tells me to fight him and to take a punch. I am scared he will hurt me if I confront him about leaving. What do I do?

I Am Scared of My Dad

A.

I’m sorry this is happening to you. Parents are supposed to protect their children. I’m wondering if your mother knows about how your father treats you? Perhaps you can live with her instead of your father.

Child welfare agencies in Canada can be contacted 24 hours a day. Consider calling the Kids Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868 and asking for help. Staff from the child welfare agency can come to your home and investigate your circumstances. They can provide protection and care and arrange a new living arrangement, if necessary.

Confronting your father is not recommended. He has threatened you and your confronting him might put you in danger. I know it will be difficult but it’s important that you report your father to your mother, the child welfare agency and or to the authorities. They can protect you and arrange for you to live somewhere else, where you can be safe and free from abuse. Please take care.

I Am Scared of My Dad