Home » My Husband Overreacts

My Husband Overreacts

My husband overreacts over the smallest of things. His reaction to any problem is to yell, say rude things to me, completely ignore me and sleep in a separate room. I try to talk to him about why he’s so upset but he never opens up. This continues for days and I am finding that it is taking a toll on my mental well being. I can’t eat, I can’t sleep, I can’t work, and I can’t enjoy life. After a few days, he will crawl into bed and try to kiss and hug me but never actually apologizes. He thinks that this is enough and that I should be fine with it. The more this happens, the more I find I am withdrawing. I tell him this and he swears he will do better and it will never happen again but it always does.

My Husband Overreacts

A.

When you’re not in a crisis with him, it will be time to have a chat. There are three things you want to communicate during this time. First, let him know his behavior is no longer acceptable. Explain the pattern that you are experience with him, and the fact that it has taken a toll on you emotionally. Talk about it from the “I” perspective. This isn’t about blaming him — it is about explaining your feelings and reactions.

Secondly, give details that you have not held up your end of the relationship by not confronting the issue and allowing him to crawl back into bed. Give reasons why this needs to change.

Finally, tell him how much the relationship means to you and that you don’t want to keep getting hurt. Make it clear that you want both of you to get professional help. Ask if he will go to couples therapy with you. If he say he won’t — then it is time for you to go on your own.

My Husband Overreacts