Home » Ask the Therapist » I Suspect I Have ASD

I Suspect I Have ASD

From Scotland: I’m a 15 year old female who has suspected ASD since I was 11. I can’t get a diagnosis as my mum won’t take me and I can’t go alone but because I can’t tell people why I am the way I am I feel depressed and anxious. I want to help myself. My main problems are sensory overload, eye contact, social situations, expressions, routine change and sarcasm. I find it hard to go out in public and I am easily irritable by small things. If im out with my dogs and i havebto change my route slightly i want to do nothing more than scream and cry in frustration but i dont i keep it in however frusration can build up and it ends with me in my room crying and punching walls. Everyday i wish to wake up and for it to be gone. I suppose it isnt all bad Im very smart and know loads of facts. I love mental health and my favourite movies make me happier than most when i watch them. I rock back and forth or flap my hands when im excited and I rub my hands together, tap fingers and resit facts when overwhelmed. Nobody notices. One of my friends noticed how stressed i get when a class gets too noisy and can even recognise when I’m about to lash out because of stress. Nobody else notices and my Mum says I was never like this when I was younger yet I can remember being like this as long as I can remember which might be from the age of 3 or 4. Can I help myself? How?

I Suspect I Have ASD

A.

As you already probably know, an ASD diagnosis is only a label. What matters is what you do with it. And as you also probably already know, there are many especially creative, intelligent, and successful people on the Autism Spectrum.

So the answer to your question is — of course you can help yourself. You can learn to manage you emotions and to contain your tendency to rock and flap when in public. You can train yourself to look people in the eye more often. And you can find ways to manage stressful environments. Most important, you can find ways to use your unique strengths and talents and develop your special areas of interest. Fortunately, there are lots of tools available on the Internet.

I’m very sorry your parents aren’t interested in getting an evaluation. It wouldn’t hurt you. If you understood the degree to which you are on the spectrum, you might be able to access some services like special counseling or classes that would help you play to your strengths and work on the issues that get you so upset. If your school has a counselor, you might want to talk to her or him about what kinds of supports might be available to you at school. Your counselor might also help you talk with your parents.

I Suspect I Have ASD