Home » Ask the Therapist » Cant Stop Thinking about My Boyfriend’s Past

Cant Stop Thinking about My Boyfriend’s Past

I can’t stop thinking about my boyfriend’s past and he also was talking to three different girls while being with me. I mean he was my first boyfriend, we are still together. But now he recently told me that he might have HIV/AIDS because he had unprotected sex once. He tells me that he hasn’t gotten tested for it and is showing symptoms. He has also talked to three girls behind my back and I can’t seem to forget about it or forgive him either. What should I do? He has also tried many times to show me that he has changed I just don’t believe him. I mean I used to trust him but because these three girls he ignored me for I can’t seem to forgive him at all. The same month that I found out that he was talking to these three girls I got very sick and I had a miscarriage. I have been feeling very depressed and don’t know what to do.
-Thank You

A.

There were several things going on here, let’s see if we can sort them out. First, if you’ve just gone through a miscarriage then your hormones may be dysregulated. You may want to get a physical — just to make sure you’re okay.

I would highly encourage your boyfriend to be tested for sexually transmitted diseases. You want to know what the risks or to your health. But in either case you’ll want to have yourself tested.

Finally, this romance doesn’t sound very grounded. If he’s saying that he doesn’t want to get tested for STDs, is lying to you, seeing three other women, and you don’t trust him — then the question is why are you still in the relationship? Maybe it is time to move on.