Home » Ask the Therapist » I’m Trying to Figure Out What Is Wrong

I’m Trying to Figure Out What Is Wrong

From the U.S.: For the last 6 months or so I have been really angry and lash out at my daughter and wife. I have no desire to finish my classes in school and I have no desires of my old projects that I use to love to do. I don’t feel sad I just feel like I am drifting around and no longer myself. I don’t like this and when my wife asks me what is wrong I have no answer to give her. I because I don’t know what is wrong I have tried thinking about what is bothering me but nothing truly is. I love my wife and I love my daughter. It is like I have a parasite inside me and I don’t care about things as much as I use to.

I am coming to this site looking for somewhere to go, I can’t afford to see a therapist or mental health professional. I am just looking for answers and somewhere to start looking for answers, I acknowledge something is wrong but don’t know how to fix it.

I’m Trying to Figure Out What Is Wrong

A.

You say nothing is bothering you — except something clearly is. But it may not be mental. If you haven’t already, the first thing you should do is see your medical doctor. There are a number of medical conditions that can make people feel this way. The thyroid is often the culprit. A vitamin deficiency is another guess. It may also have something to do with your sleep or nutrition. See your doctor for a thorough check-up.

If you are physically fine, ask your doctor for information about where you might find free or reduced fee mental health support. Then go for an evaluation. Let the counselor know your financial limits and make the best use you can of however many sessions you can afford. Sometimes all it takes is a few sessions to jump start a new direction.

In the meantime, I hope you are taking care of yourself. That means eating a healthy diet, getting at least 7 – 8 hours of sleep a night, staying away from pixels in the hour before sleep and getting a good cardio-vascular workout a few times a week. It’s really true that the key to a healthy mind and attitude is often in a healthy body.

I’m Trying to Figure Out What Is Wrong