Home » Eating Disorders » Binge Eating and Depression

Binge Eating and Depression

I’ve been depressed for about 4 years now and recently it has started to get worse. I don’t go out with my friends any more, and I’ve began binge eating and cutting. I’m a distance runner and since I’ve been binge eating, I have gained weight and now I don’t go out for runs or workout any more. I have no motivation and my parents keep asking me why I’m not doing track this year and it’s because I think I’m too fat to run and it’s too late to start training, but I didn’t tell them that. I use to go to therapy but stopped this last summer because I started to feel good and didn’t think I needed to go back but now I don’t know how to ask them or tell them that I need to go back because half the time they don’t listen to what I’m saying and half the time they honestly don’t care. I feel like most of their attention goes towards my brother. I don’t know how to handle these feelings any more because every time I try to get back on track, I fall back into this binge eating cycle and I can’t get out of it and I’m scared it will never stop. I honestly don’t know how to tell my parents, please help. (age 16, from Canada)

Binge Eating and Depression

A.

Thanks for writing in with your question. I hope it became clear to you as you wrote these things down that you definitely need to get back into therapy. Things might have gotten better last summer but now it sounds like they are a lot worse. You’re not just dealing with depression but binge eating, self-harm, isolating yourself and dropping an activity that would help you cope with it all, your running.

It doesn’t matter HOW you ask your parents to get you back into therapy, it just matters that you DO. Stop over thinking it and just do it. You could even try the approach of calling your therapist to reschedule yourself then let your parents know that you did. You need support and help to get out of this rut, not only the support of your therapist but you need to let your parents and your friends back in as well. You don’t have to handle things by yourself. Let those who care about you and love you help you when you need it most. And, get back out to run! It doesn’t matter what you look like or whether or not you participate in a formal track program, it just matters that you run again. Exercise is one of the best ways to deal with depression and stress. Don’t let this go when you need it most. I hope things get better for you soon.

Binge Eating and Depression