Home » Disorders » ADHD » ADD in College

ADD in College

I’m a current pre-Pharmacy student in my last year of undergrad. Within the last few years I’ve started having issues in the classroom. I’ve always struggled with organization and paying attention in class but always managed to get by with pretty good grades. Recently however, those struggles are catching up to me and my grades are beginning to suffer, despite the ungodly amount of time I spend studying, or attempting to study. I also recently took on a job and am struggling in that atmosphere as well. I can never get my work completed on time and struggle to stay focused on one task, starting one and moving on to another and forgetting about the first. I also have a lapse in conversation with my boss and friends. In conversation I often miss half of what is being said. I can’t sleep at night and have just become incredibly frustrated with myself.

I’m wondering if I should perhaps be tested for ADD? While I remember dealing with similar struggles when I was younger, they never became a major problem until I reached college. I always managed to be able to get by without having to study or pay attention in class up until the recent years. I’m at a loss of how to correct to the issues I’m having, but they’re ruining my life and quickly making my aspirations of Pharmacy School go out the window. Thanks.

ADD in College

A.

Sounds like you’re doing a lot. You might want to first read the book Driven To Distraction. It’s a good overview of how ADD manifests. If you see yourself in those pages, I would definitely make an appointment with a psychologist, neuropsychologist, or psychiatrist to be evaluated. There’s plenty of help available.

ADD in College