Home » Should I Admit Myself?

Should I Admit Myself?

I have bipolar disorder and think about ways to kill myself almost every day. I am able to go and socialize with people while at class, but feel very down when I am alone. I occasionally have been hearing whispering in my empty apartment, which use to only happen in a manic episode. I feel like I can do daily tasks, but am fearful of how much longer it’ll be until these suicidal thoughts become more aggressive. Should I wait until then or do something about it now? I hate the thought of going back to the hospital, but I feel like I am pretending to live while pushing every feeling I have aside until I am alone and it all hits me hard and sends me spiraling down. Please help.

Should I Admit Myself?

A.

What are you waiting for? Yes, you should go see your therapist and discuss whether a hospitalization is a good idea. It’s much better to get admitted while you still have some strength than to wait for the crash. That core of strength is the foundation for successful treatment.

Yes, I know the hospital isn’t your idea of a great way to spend your time. But suffering like this isn’t a better alternative. You deserve to get whatever care and support is available to you.

Should I Admit Myself?