Home » Disgusted When Touching Others

Disgusted When Touching Others

I feel disgusted when I touch other people or when other people touch me.

This all started at age 15 when I would feel “dirty” whenever I shook someone‚Äôs hand, I would immediately use hand sanitizer to clean my hand. At a later age this has now developed into a state where I feel like I need a hot shower if I even bump into anyone, it has made my social life non-existent. So based on this I have two questions:

1) What am I suffering from?
2) What can I do to get rid of it?

It has gotten to a point that I wont even leave my apartment in fear someone will accidentally touch me. (From Sweden)

Disgusted When Touching Others

A.

Thank you for your important question. I certainly couldn’t make accurate diagnosis — yet I can’t say your behavior sounds compulsive. The fact that it is so intense and pervasive suggests you may want a consult with the psychiatrist. He or she can ask more in-depth questions to narrow down the symptoms and offer a diagnosis.

I appreciate the courage it takes to acknowledge this and seek help.

Disgusted When Touching Others