Home » Depression » Am I Depressed?

Am I Depressed?

Hi, I’m 21 years old and a college student. I’m wondering if I’m depressed or not.

From the age of 16 to 19 I was in a abusive, both verbal and physical relationship. Now being free from that for 2 years ago. I find myself bummed out, always sleeping, always tired, not wanting to eat, having thoughts of cutting or thinking of killing myself.

I feel so unworthy, underserving, stupid, pathetic, not worthy of any love from anyone, I have no hopes, and I gave up on anything. I’m an artist, yet I never have the will power to draw anymore. I run, but can’t find the will power to go run. I lost all interest in what I love to do. I takes every bone in my body to get out of bed and go on with my day. I force myself to go out with friends yet never had fun. I put on a mask like I’m happy and my life is perfect when I’m around people. Yet thats not me at all. I don’t want people to see I’m so unhappy and think of dying would be better then feeling so trapped like I do.

Please help me. Am I depressed? Should I go talk to someone? Should I go to a doctor?

Am I Depressed?

A.

It is possible that you have depression. Diagnosis is impossible over the Internet but you have described many signs that would indicate depression. Yes, you should see a mental health professional.

It’s not normal to have such a low opinion of oneself. Nor is it common to lose all interest in life and to lack the energy to get out of bed. Those are all symptoms of an underlying problem.

Depression is highly treatable. In fact, it is arguably one of the most treatable mental health disorders (along with anxiety). If you participate in treatment, then your prognosis is excellent.

Interview three or four therapists and choose the one with whom you feel the strongest connection. When choosing a therapist, you should also consider their track record for treating depression. Attempt to determine if the therapist has had success in treating people with depression. Your primary care physician might have some good referrals. I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.

Am I Depressed?