Home » Should I Seek Help?

Should I Seek Help?

Hi. I have an issue. I have anger issues. And I am anti-social. I can talk online but not over the phone or in person. I also think constantly of hurting others, or worse. Of course I have kept it in line by writing stories that involve what I have been thinking. But I am wondering what that is called with all that involved, and if I should seek help. I am also depressed which is where I think I got it. I used to be suicidal still catch myself thinking hurting myself. And if anyone has any advice. Any comments are welcome. I would rather not do any medication unless I have to. Thanks for your time.

Should I Seek Help?

A.

You talk online but not over the phone or in-person. Would it be more accurate to say that you prefer to talk online rather than over the phone or in-person? Would it be better to say that you are capable of conversing in all venues, but you only choose certain ones? Limiting one’s social interaction because of nervousness is a sign of anxiety.

You also think about hurting others. You have been able to keep those thoughts “in check” through writing. That might be an effective short-term strategy, but these thoughts should be investigated in a clinical setting. Counseling could uncover why you feel the way you do.

My advice is to begin counseling. Counseling does not involve medication. It is an opportunity to discuss what’s on your mind with an objective person who is trained to treat psychological problems. At some point, you and your therapist might consider medication, as an adjunct to therapy, but it may not be necessary. Many people recover solely with therapy. Medication is not always warranted.

Ask your primary care physician for a referral. Interview at least three or four therapists and choose the one with whom you feel the strongest connection. That will give you your best chance at success. Please take care.

Should I Seek Help?