Home » Ask the Therapist » Friend Plans How To Kill People

Friend Plans How To Kill People

My friend (16 male, no family issues, no relationship, Newton Utah) has confided in me about “trances” or “blurry mind things” that he gets. On a hunting trip with his brother, father, and grandfather, his mind went slightly blurry, his shotgun drifted towards his brother and he thought “I can get all three of them and no one will know.” It really freaked him out. He loves his family very much. It is completely uncharacteristic of him to think any harmful thoughts at all. He told sometimes in class he’ll think of how to take out all his class members. How he’ll “tactically” kill them. He loves to air-soft, plan, and wants to become part of the secret service. He was home schooled until this year and is taking a police class of sorts in school. He told me that strategizing is his true love in life. I’m worried about him and tried to research his condition but nothing came up. He has never picked up a shotgun again since when he had thoughts about murdering his family. I know he needs help but we wanted to get some more information first, before telling his parents. Its really hard to tell family about this kind of thing. I want to help him. But I also want to respect his wishes of researching it first. ANY information you can possibly find would be of the utmost help to us. Thank you so much for your time and have a wonderful day.

Friend Plans How To Kill People

A.

Thank you for telling us. This is important. I deeply appreciate how much you want to help your friend — and the time to do that is now. The fact that it scares him, that he’s told you, and that it scares you — is all the research we need. It is time to tell his parents. The label for this isn’t as important as the fact that it causes so much distress. Labels don’t help people — people do — and your friend needs help. Your friend trusting you and the obvious quality of your friendship is what is important. I wouldn’t wait. You and he talking to his parents together is the right thing to do. I admire your courage and taking this proactive action. I would do this sooner rather than later. Now is the time.

Friend Plans How To Kill People