Home » Stillborn Birth

Stillborn Birth

I experienced a stillbirth three years ago. Don’t have other children but wasn’t able to convince since my traumatic event. Since then, I never expressed my feelings and buried myself in work. I often cry, have trouble sleeping and relive the memory of giving birth in my mind. Is this normal? Can I be suffering from depression or unresolved grief or ptsd? I’m considering seeing a therapist, but feel embarrassed since this is not a recent event.

Stillborn Birth

A.

Yes, it is possible that you have depression and/or post traumatic stress disorder from never having properly dealt with the emotional aspects of losing a baby.

You mentioned feeling embarrassed. Your embarrassment may stem from the belief that you are “supposed” to know how to deal with a significant and traumatic loss or that you are “supposed” to have “gotten over” your loss by now. Those ideas are false, simply not true. You should never feel embarrassed over struggling with normal human emotions.

We are not born with an innate ability to handle extreme emotional events. Mental health professionals receive specialized training to help their clients move through this process.

I hope that you that follow your instincts. Seeing a therapist is the right thing to do. It doesn’t matter if the event occurred five months ago, five years ago or five decades ago. You might not have been ready to deal with those emotions then but you are ready now. Please take care.

Stillborn Birth