Home » Ask the Therapist » On Again Off Again

On Again Off Again

I’m going trough a bad break up of 8 years and trying to cope with this on again off again relationship. I’ve been dating this guy for 8 years. He is my first and only love. But the problem is that for 8 years I’ve been in an off again on again relationship and it is driving me crazy. Whenever things get tough or he makes a mistake or I make a mistake we argue and he leaves. Sometimes it is just a few days; sometimes it is few weeks and sometimes even a few months. We broke up like a week ago and I’m a mess I do not sleep, do not eat, and I hate myself for letting he put me through this again. My parents and my friend are sick of his behavior nobody understands why he does what he does I mean I’m not perfect either but to leave every time a problem occurs what is that all about. What is worse I cannot talk to him he doesn’t listen and he does not pick up my calls he is mad and does not to have anything to do with me .. But I know that he will cool down and come again, and we will talk and he will act like he cares and then at a first fight he leaves. Why is he doing that I’m mean we’ve been together for 8 years and I still don’t understand it I still do not feel wanted or loved but rather like a toy. What the heck am I suppose to do this time? (From Bosnia)

On Again Off Again

A.

After eight years it is time to let it go. If in all this time you are left with only heartache, what are you fighting for? Here is a man who has proven — over and over again — not to be able to work through the rough spots. The work now is to grieve the relationship. At 24 you don’t want to extend the misery. Gather your friends and family around you — develop a support network for making the break. If it hasn’t gone well in eight years — there isn’t much to build on. Be thankful for the good times you had during the relationship, but now it is time to grieve — now is time to find a love who knows how to balance themselves during disagreements. You deserve that in your life, don’t you?

On Again Off Again