Home » Ask the Therapist » Parenting » Family Issues

Family Issues

I have been in a relation[ship] for more than 3 yrs now but my mom and my family is not accepting it they tell me to stop it or they will disown me. But we both love each other and separation may cause terrible consequences. We want to live together. I read in class 10 and my boyfriend in university, how do I make them understand that we love each other a lot and that he is not a bad guy? (From Bangladesh)

Family Issues

A.

Thank you for reaching out to us here at PsychCentral. I think it is time for the two of you to sit down with your parents. If you are together for three years then the relationship is important — and serious. I believe the two of you need to discuss how you want to have the conversation, then honor your parents concerns by having both of you face them — and the problem.

If the two of you look forward to confronting life’s challenges together, then let it begin with this discussion.

Family Issues