Home » Ask the Therapist » Mental Issues and Possible Borderline Personality Disorder

Mental Issues and Possible Borderline Personality Disorder

I have been led to believe that I have borderline personality disorder and I would like to double check that. I have anxiety and led to have signs of anxiety. I tend to get angry if my parents come into my room and start talking to me. I like to be alone. I like to be different. When someone calls me normal I dislike it a lot. I seem to like being upset and when I’m not upset for a long period of time I stop taking medication to cause me to be upset. I self harm and I have been for 3 years. I often plot to kill myself, but never go through with it due to family being home. I have often stop and start eating randomly I could not eat for days then go on a huge binge at random. Nothing ever seems to be in between its always right or wrong. I have stolen items in the past even whilst having money with me which is a little strange. My parents divorced when I was 8 and I didn’t stop hearing about it. I still haven’t stopped hearing about it. I tend to lose interests in relationships fast, and I am clingy to the friends I have.

A.

I cannot give an official diagnosis over the Internet, and without doing an assessment, but you are certainly describing traits that are included in the criteria for Borderline Personality Disorder. However, most of us hesitate to truly diagnose personality disorders in adolescents because you are still developing your personality. Which is even more reason you should work on changing some of these extreme tendencies while you are young enough to do so. I hope you are working with a therapist, and if not, please consider finding one that you like.

There are lots of ways to cope with feelings other than harming yourself and you need to learn that feeling “upset” should not be your preferred state. I’m sorry that you are still hearing about your parents’ divorce but even that is something that you can heal from and move beyond. On one hand, adolescence is a time when you can try on many different hats in discovering yourself, but it is also a time to begin thinking about your future and who you want to become. Work on becoming a person you can be proud of.