Home » Disorders » Eating Disorders » What Therapist Qualifications to Look for in Treating My Child

What Therapist Qualifications to Look for in Treating My Child

My 10 year old son has been diagnosed OCD. He has all symptoms. I am trying to find a therapist but I don’t know what qualifications or schooling that I should be looking for. (age 41, from US)

A.

Depending on how severe his symptoms are, he may benefit most from medication and therapy combined. You can call your insurance company for help finding both a child psychiatrist and a therapist or counselor who would be qualified to treat your son. Your family doctor (or pediatrician) may also have potential referrals you.

But if you want to do the research yourself there are several internet referral services available, such as the one listed on this site and the one hosted by Psychology Today. These sites allow folks to search for specific areas of expertise and ages of clients served, as well as geographic area. You can then peruse the profiles for a therapist you would feel comfortable with.

I would then suggest that you ask for a brief phone consultation just to make sure that they truly are a good match for your son and what their appointment availability is. There are many different types of therapists with various degrees. As long as you find someone who is licensed in their field and has the appropriate experience, I don’t feel that one type is necessarily better than another.