Home » Ask the Therapist » A Friend Is Mentally Ill

A Friend Is Mentally Ill

I have a friend, she is a girl, she is not talking with me properly from 1 month, but she says that I normally love you as a brother like before, but she’s not even speaking or responding to the message I kept. She has maniac depression disorder and paranoid disorder. She said this only to me and another friend, she don’t want to tell this to her parents also. She is always saying that I want to die and I hate myself. How to take care of her and should I tell this to her parents or not? (From India)

A Friend Is Mentally Ill

A.

I appreciate the deep concern you have for your friend. If she is the same age as you, 12, you do not want to carry the burden of her disclosure. I would talk to your parents and ask them for help and telling hers.

A Friend Is Mentally Ill