Home » Depression » Depression Meds?

Depression Meds?

I am thinking about getting put on depression medication, but I’m not sure who to go to for that or to discuss it. I am a minor so I would probably have to get my mom’s permission, but I feel like she would think I’m just seeking attention or she wouldn’t understand. I have been holding in wanting meds for the part 2 years and I’ve come to no conclusion. What is the process usually for getting depression meds? What do they ask you and what do they do to test you and what not? Do they run a test?

Depression Meds?

A.

It takes courage to ask for help, and I’m glad you’ve written us. If you believe your mom won’t help — I would talk to your school’s guidance counselor. He or she can help you figure out your options. However, I encourage you to talk to mom first. She may be more receptive than you think.

You can also look on our forums to learn what others have done.

Another possibility is to talk to your general practitioner or pediatrician the next time you go. They can answer specific questions about medicine, and help you get an evaluation.

Depression Meds?