Home » Disorders » OCD » My OCD Is Getting Out of Control

My OCD Is Getting Out of Control

I was recently diagnosed at 22 with OCD while I have unknowingly suffered from it since childhood. It’s getting progressively worse everyday. My psychologist offered me her number to call or text anytime but I don’t like to bother people. I’m not sure what to do. My two biggest symptoms, hand washing/showering and rituals with my hands, are out of control. Whenever my hands are idle I’m constantly doing hand rituals. It’s seriously hurting my skin and my joints/hand muscles are aching. What do you suggest?

My OCD Is Getting Out of Control

A.

In the beginning, therapy might seem frightening but it isn’t. The whole purpose of therapy is to remove the roadblocks that are in the way of your happiness. Right now, anxiety and fear are your roadblocks but this is correctable with therapy. Therapy works.

It’s important that you contact your psychologist, as she suggested you do. You don’t want to bother her but I highly doubt that she would see it that way. She would not have given you her phone number and instructed you to “call or text anytime.” She made a recommendation for treatment but you are not following it. That might be why your OCD symptoms are getting worse.

Contact your therapist. Describe your symptoms and ask for her advice. You will not be bothering her. Follow her instructions and this will give you the best possible chance at decreasing your anxiety. OCD is a highly treatable condition but only if you follow the treatment protocol. Please take care.

My OCD Is Getting Out of Control