Home » Ask the Therapist » Relationships » Sexuality » Child Sexual Abuse Sprouting into Other Problems

Child Sexual Abuse Sprouting into Other Problems

I was sexually abused several times as a child growing up by family members. I have notified my parents and am seeking help now. I was recently diagnosed with PTSD and moderate depression, and while I feel better just by finally receiving help, I can’t shake off the feeling that it’s worthless. I can’t bring myself to care about not only about myself, but about family, friends, future. Or my little sister. I was sexually abused to protect her because if I hadn’t willingly given myself, my abusers would’ve used her. Since then, I have hated my sister. I blame her and I try not to. Our relationship is so strained. Yet, I still find myself protective over her I certain situations that bring memories back, but she doesn’t care what I did for her or what happened to me. I hate her for it. I feel so isolated despite the help and I always find myself blaming my sister. She was only a toddler at the time and I miss being her older sister. Please, what should I do?

A.

I am so sorry this happened to you. Your PTSD reaction includes feelings you are having toward your sister, as well as the lack of caring. All of this is part of the Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Since you are already receiving help, tell the therapist these reactions and feelings. He or she can help you sort this through. If the abuser is still around be certain there are safeguards in place so you do not have contact. This will help you recover much faster.