Home » Ask the Therapist » I Just Had a Baby and I’m Not Happy

I Just Had a Baby and I’m Not Happy

I just had a baby with my boyfriend, I’ve been really angry for no reason, when ever he gets home I’m all of a sudden angry, and he gets mad cause I complain to much about everything, I try to be happy, I don’t know what’s keeping me from being happy, I feel horrible because he does everything for me and the baby and I’m still not happy, I don’t want to lose my relationship and I feel like it’s headed in that direction

I Just Had a Baby and I’m Not Happy

A.

The first thing you do is go back to your OB/GYN. It may be that you are suffering from post partum depression. If that’s not the cause of your irritability, it could be that you are more overwhelmed by caring for a new baby than you realize. You are only 18. Infants, even the most beautiful and calm infants, are demanding little people. Many new mothers find that they weren’t prepared for the lack of sleep and the 24/7 nature of the job of being a mom. You may need some more practical help and emotional support.

I hope you have some older, wise, experienced moms you can turn to and talk to. If not, do look for a support group to help you, your boyfriend and the baby make the transition to being a family. You all deserve to enjoy what can be a very sweet time together.

I Just Had a Baby and I’m Not Happy