Home » Ask the Therapist » Constantly Screaming Toddler

Constantly Screaming Toddler

My 2 year old is throwing tantrums and screaming almost every day all day long. Literally every 10 minutes something else come up. If I look at her, she will scream ‘no mommy looking, no mommy looking’. She asks for a tea, I give her tea she throws it away and starts screaming hot, no tea, no tea. she is crying all day long. I mean every little thing upsets her. It is out of proportion. Is it normal at this age?

Her dad and I are separated and shes seeing him 3 days a week and 4 days she’s with me. Is it psychological issues? Maybe my stress and changing homes are affecting her? Maybe she’s asking for my attention? Is it a normal behavior for toddlers in general? I know they are fussy and temperamental but how much is too much? It is driving me crazy and I am losing it!

Also, I wanted to know how to react to these tantrums? Punishing her doesn’t seem right. Talking to her during the tantrum makes her mad even more.

Just ignore them? I don’t know what to do. It is so frustrating
Please help me understand what is that my child wants to tell me.
Thanks!

Constantly Screaming Toddler

A.

Children that age are sponges for the emotional atmosphere. Yes, is the short answer to all the possibilities you’ve mentioned for her reaction. Trust yourself. If it feels very different for her normal personality — bring it to the attention of your pediatrician. The physician is in the best position to assess whether or not a psychological assessment is the right thing. Don’t wait. If she does need some help with the adjustment you’ll want to deal with it sooner rather than later.

Constantly Screaming Toddler