Home » Dad Versus Stepdad

Dad Versus Stepdad

My daughter is 5 going on 6. About two months ago she met her biological father. Until then she didn’t even know about him. Recently she started telling me she doesn’t love her stepdad who has been in her life for 3 years now and who she’s been calling dad for just as long. Is this normal feelings? How can I help her through this transition better? I make sure to ask her all the time how she feels and if she has any questions. I’m hoping its just part of the transition.

Dad Versus Stepdad

A.

It is likely a transitional reaction. It is hard for children your daughter’s age to grasp all the complex feelings. If the situation persists, I would engage the services of a child and family therapist. Here is a link to the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists. You may also be able to locate a therapist at the “find help” tab at the top of this page.

Dad Versus Stepdad