Home » Having Weird/Delusional Thoughts & Questioning Reality

Having Weird/Delusional Thoughts & Questioning Reality

Lately I have been having some really weird and crazy thoughts and questioning reality.

Like I think I’m living in “The Matrix” or the Truman Show. For instance today, at training I saw people laughing. I knew they were probably just laughing among themselves but for some reason I thought they were laughing at me. Saying “Omg he is so clueless, he doesn’t know this is all an act”…

Then after training while driving home I kept thinking “what if I AM living in the Matrix. What if nothing is real, everyone is just actors/simulations here to fill up the world”…

I tried to blow it off like I’m just stressed and having weird thoughts, but soon after I started thinking “what if I am God? What if I am God, and one day I got so bored that I decided to jump into this world (resetting my memory when I got in) just so I can experience it. Then I began thinking “okay so if I am God, then what is the point of living? Nothing is real, just my creation. Everything or anything I accomplish will be in vain. This theory was actually not my idea, it’s a theory I got from a video I saw on YouTube and it got stuck in my head…

I had another similar experience before, while I was high on weed. I had a panic attack, and started questioning reality. I was thinking “these people I’m with (my friends) are all actors. They’re just acting like they’re my friends but they know the truth. That this is all an act, like I’m in a play but I’m the only one who thinks this is real”. I actually believed that while I was tripping out…

These are just some of my crazy thoughts I have a few more (like thinking my family knows I’m crazy but are acting like I’m not to withhold the truth from me etc) but this is a start, hope to hear back from you guys. Thanks

A.

The nature of your current thinking is worrisome. Your thinking may indicate a break with reality, also known as a psychosis. Psychosis occurs when someone has difficulty distinguishing what is real from what is not real.

You described several delusional beliefs including strangers laughing at you, that you are living in “The Matrix” or “The Truman Show,” and believing that you are God. Delusions are a sign of psychosis.

You also described having a frightening experience while being high. That experience led you to question reality and whether or not anything is real. That particular type of delusion is called a nihilistic delusion. It involves the belief that nothing is real.

Diagnosis over the Internet is impossible which is why it is important for you to undergo an evaluation by a mental health professional. You should also stop using drugs. I receive many letters from individuals who seem to experience psychosis-like symptoms after using drugs. We don’t know if drug use causes mental illness but it does exacerbate symptoms of mental illness. It would be dangerous for you to continue to use drugs.

You should not ignore your symptoms. Research consistently shows that untreated psychosis is associated with a poor prognosis. It is extremely important to intervene sooner rather than later. Please take care.