Home » Ask the Therapist » Stuck During Public Speaking

Stuck During Public Speaking

I am suffering from a serious psychological problem at present I am pursuing MBA from a respected B-School I am good in study but when I publicly speak, giving presentation I badly stuck and sometimes even not able to speak a single word despite of good content and knowledge of subject due to a psychological feeling. This feeling first arise when I am in 12th th actually when I think that I have to speak this word after 2 minutes then after 2 minutes that word not comes out from my mouth for example one time I am going to my home (Begusarai) and I was standing in a long queue on ticket counter but when my number has came then I can’t speak Begusarai when ticket issuer ask about my destination I try to speak Begusarai but I only spoke bbbbbb ….. Begusarai has not came out from my mouth with respect to time this problem become more severe now when I start presenting in my class I start very well but in middle this feeling comes in my mind that I have the habit to stuck so when this feeling comes in my mind I start stucking in almost each word and sometimes forced to left my presentation in middle. I try hard to forgot this feeling but it must come during presentation I am very tense. Please help me. (From India)

Stuck During Public Speaking

A.

Thanks for your letter. There are several ways to improve your public speaking skills. First, use the resources at your college to help with this problem. Most universities have a public speaking course, and if not a whole course they are very likely to have a seminar that should help.

There is also a group specifically for public speaking, which many business people use. There is a Toastmaster Club in India that can direct you to events near you.

I would also take an acting class. Public speaking is performing. The people who teach acting a very used to giving exercises to help their students present. This way the problem doesn’t have to be all about the anxiety, it can also be about meeting new people and having fun.

Stuck During Public Speaking