Home » I Have Social Anxiety

I Have Social Anxiety

From Croatia: I’m struggling with slight social anxiety. I’ve always been shy and I felt better alone than around other people. I thought it was because I’m an introvert, but my problems don’t end there. I don’t like talking on the phone, and I always have to mentally prepare myself before making a call. Or before going to the store I have to rehearese what I’m going to say. I always get sick and I start shivering before having a presentation or something in front of my class. I always get through every fear and everything I’m uncomfortable with, so it doesn’t completely interfere with my life, but I would like to know if there’s a way to stop feeling like this. I fight with it daily, and I would just like to relax for once. Thank you.

I Have Social Anxiety

A.

Social anxiety can be very limiting and very uncomfortable. Unfortunately, there isn’t a one size fits all treatment. Different people need different treatment for social anxiety. Many people respond well to Cognitive Behavior Therapy. Others do well with exposure therapy. Still others find that taking an SSRI medication helps them manage the anxiety that is at the root of social anxiety. Still others find that starting a meditation practice or getting more exercise helps. Many people benefit from a combination of some or all of these approaches.

You made an important first step by writing to us here at PsychCentral. Now I strongly suggest that you see a mental health counselor to help you identify what would be most helpful for you. Don’t be discouraged if the first thing you try doesn’t work. It may take a number of attempts before you find the method that is most comfortable and useful for you.

I Have Social Anxiety