Home » No One Thinks Anything Is Wrong

No One Thinks Anything Is Wrong

Is it normal for even the closest people who “know everything” about you to be completely clueless about some things. The only thing that my parents know is that I have severe ADHD. I know (through self-diagnosis) that I also have severe depression, severe OCD, moderate to severe anxiety/panic disorder/generalized anxiety disorder, many phobias, no self esteem. I suspect that I have dissociation disorder, mania, bipolar disorder, Post traumatic stress disorder, borderline personality disorder, and subtle signs of schizophrenia. Yet NOT A SINGLE person in my house suspects a thing. It’s scary what your own parents who you live with you every single day don’t know or notice about you. Does this happen alot, or is this normal that the people closest to you may not know anything about you?

No One Thinks Anything Is Wrong

A.

Your premise may be correct, that your family isn’t aware that anything is wrong. Generally speaking, mental health is a sensitive issue. Many people would rather avoid the subject altogether.

It might be that they suspect something is wrong but don’t know how to deal with it. They’re not mental health professionals and may not know what to say or do to help.

Another possibility is that they suspect something is wrong but are hoping it’s a “phase.” Perhaps they are hoping that you “grow out of it.”

The bottom line is this: if you think something is wrong, ask for help. Your next steps should be telling your parents how you feel and asking for their assistance in seeking mental health treatment. If your parents don’t respond, consult your school guidance counselor or school psychologist. Because of their training, they will know how to help you. Please take care.

No One Thinks Anything Is Wrong