Home » I’m Scalp Picking Until I Bleed

I’m Scalp Picking Until I Bleed

From the U.S.: I’ve been scalp picking for a long time now(maybe 3 years), and now it’s getting really bad. I never let the wounds heal and I always pick until it bleeds, it’s something that I have no control of. I’ve tried wearing gloves and other things, but I just can’t stop it… I noticed that I’ve been losing a bit of hair and it’s making me so depressed…

When i pick on my scalp, the whole world stops spinning for a while. I get in trance when i do this.. I could go hours and hours just picking on my scalp and not even notice it. What do i do? Please help me. I’m desperate.

I’m Scalp Picking Until I Bleed

A.

If you could take care of this by yourself, you would have done so already. There are treatments that can help. Here’s a paragraph from the Skin Picking Disorder Fact Sheet that is put out by the International OCD Foundation:

“Although more research is needed on treatments for skin picking disorder, some research suggests that cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) may help with skin picking disorder. Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) may also be helpful. Research also suggests that skin picking may be treated with medications such as SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors). SSRIs include: fluoxetine, Fluvoxamine, and escialopram. Some research suggests that the anti-seizure medicine lamotrigine may also be helpful. Unfortunately, because many people do not know that there is help for skin picking disorder, many with the disorder to continue to suffer with it.”

I’m Scalp Picking Until I Bleed