Home » Disorders » Depression » Is this Normal Depression?

Is this Normal Depression?

I am 22 and have been going through depression and anxiety since I was 17. It feels different sometimes though. I feel like I’m experiencing the mood swings of PMS except all the time. I mean I mostly feel tired and worthless and like I will be unsuccessful in anything I do. But I’ll have this one point where it feels like I’m on a high and I’m extremely energetic and productive and happy and positive for no reason, but it won’t last long and I’m back down. I push away affection from the person I love the most and sometimes hate when he even touches me and it is the worst feeling ever, especially for him. I have a past of self-harming and I have recently done it again. I have low self esteem but at times have a fit of extreme confidence and my emotions are so back and forth its hard to keep control of and it’s ruining my relationship and myself. Its hard to keep friends because I make excuses to not see them and sometimes won’t see my closest friends for months at a time. What is wrong with me? (From Canada)

Is this Normal Depression?

A.

It isn’t possible to classify the symptoms you are reporting to give you accurate feedback. Each of them could be normal fluctuations, stand-alone issues, or reactions coming from a condition.

The best way to begin sorting this through is with an evaluation by either a psychologist or psychiatrist. Most community hospitals have this service, and while it might take you a while to be seen, I would start there.

If the idea of an evaluation is off-putting, you may want to schedule a therapy session with someone in your area. The University of Toronto can give you information can give you information for your area.

Is this Normal Depression?