Home » Ask the Therapist » Losing on Life

Losing on Life

My dad left us when I was 10. I was brought up by mom single-handedly. She worked most of the time and I used to be alone at home. I was harassed and bullied by my uncle and his family with whom mom and myself stayed for 7 years before we could manage to stay on our own. I started working when I was 18 and have been working since then. I feel I’m always in need of love and affection. I would do anything for a person who shows me slightest of love. I have been in 2 serious relationships which didn’t work out and left me in complete mess. I was approached by one of my school friends recently who wanted to be with me. I was really happy. But due to my hot temper he has taken a back step and probably is no longer interested. I’m depressed. I feel lonely and crave for companionship. My work seems fine, but I feel I am stuck in one place. My relationship with my mom is quite strained as we keep on fighting with each other and hardly talk. She stays with me as there’s no one to take care of her. A person looking at me would say that I’m fine as I kind of wear a happy mask while I’m at work. But deep down I feel sad and angry. Angry because I have no one. People my age have got married and settled. I am scared I will end up lonely. I am not good looking either. Therefore probably guys don’t approach me. I can’t sleep at night. I lay awake for hours, cry a lot and feel lonely. I wish to die and end this. I feel it all started because my dad left. Please help. (From India.)

Losing on Life

A.

I hear in your struggle the courage and resilience you have demonstrated and looking for something better. While I certainly understand the level of your frustration, what I hear is a young woman who has met many adversities, and yet is able to pick herself up again and again and keep trying.

Everything I know about success in anything, love or work, has to do with resilience and courage. I believe it is time for new things in your life. Take the bull by the horns. Give yourself the daily challenge of introducing yourself to new people. Give yourself the weekly challenge of trying something new. In order to grow you must re-create yourself in new ways. Meeting new people and learning new thing sis the best way to do this.

Finally, I think it would be important for you to find a trusted person outside your family you can talk to about your thoughts, feelings, and plans. In the meantime you may want to join one of our forums here at Psych Central.

Losing on Life