Home » Disorders » Schizophrenia » I’m Afraid of Developing Schizophrenia

I’m Afraid of Developing Schizophrenia

From the U.S.: Can a person with GAD develop a serious mental disorder such as schizophrenia or bipolar? Sometimes I’m afraid that I might end up developing something else. I’ve been to my therapist on three different occasions and it’s all been the same diagnosis mild GAD. Sometimes do worry that my mental health status might change.

I’m Afraid of Developing Schizophrenia

A.

Although a person can have multiple diagnoses, it’s highly unlikely that GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) will evolve into schizophrenia. You have an anxiety disorder. At times you get anxious about your mental health. it’s not surprising that you might get anxious about having a more serious mental illness.

I trust that your therapist is probably correct in her diagnosis. However, a diagnosis alone doesn’t take care of a problem. It sounds to me like you need to do some therapeutic work around how to cope with your anxiety. If you didn’t stick with your therapist long enough to do that work, I do encourage you to do so.

I’m Afraid of Developing Schizophrenia