Home » Afraid of Everything

Afraid of Everything

My husband announced he is leaving us. He says that I have been taking advantage of him for being under his Health Insurance, not saving money, not being a good housewife, etc. I have always worked full time. I started having GAD and depression. I am terrified of going to work, have a hard time focusing and I keep thinking that I will not be able to do the job. I am usually a brave and joyful person, but now I am just scared of everything. I am in panic all day. I go to a psychiatrist but I don’t think the drugs are helping. I am taking antidepressant, anxiety med, beta blocker, blood pressure medication just so I can get to work. (age 54, from US)

Afraid of Everything

A.

I’m sorry that you are going through all this and that your husband doesn’t seem to be supporting you through it. Many people don’t understand just how debilitating some mental health conditions can be and lack empathy or the ability to offer appropriate support.

You mention seeing a psychiatrist but you didn’t mention seeing a therapist.  Medication alone can only help with symptoms, whereas therapy can help with so much more. The combination of both is best for cases like yours. Your therapist can also meet with you and your husband together and possibly explain your disorders in a professional way — hopefully in a way that your husband can hear.

Otherwise, since your symptoms are affecting your ability to work right now, you may need to apply for short-term disability until you can function more productively. Your human resource department can help you with this. If you are no longer working, you can apply for disability through the Social Security office. I hope things improve soon.

Afraid of Everything