Home » Ask the Therapist » I Don’t Know What Is Wrong With Me

I Don’t Know What Is Wrong With Me

It is my third and final year at university, in both the first and second years I was working at a first level. This year however, no matter what I do I can’t concentrate or get motivated in the slightest. I have had constant anxiety for several months now, meaning I started skipping lectures because for some reason they became almost scary. I have also had an increasing number of panic attacks, I used to get them very occasionally and now they are daily. It has got to the point where I have the first semester final exams next week and I have no idea what I am going to do, I can’t seem to get into revision because I feel so panicked, which is just adding to the situation. When I was 14, I attempted suicide and was given CBT, when I was 17 I was sexually assaulted and suffered more depression that I didn’t get help for and which ruined my A-level results. I thought I was “better,” but it seems I have scuppered my attempts of getting the grades and career that is expected of me. I just keep sabotaging myself when it is most important. I don’t even know what I expect from this, it is too late to do anything about the impending exams. I am probably just looking for some way of getting out of them.

I Don’t Know What Is Wrong With Me

A.

Anytime you notice that something is wrong, you should seek help. You should not ignore potential symptoms of a mental health disorder. The longer you wait to deal with this issue, the further behind you will be in school. Is your anxiety the reason why you aren’t studying or is it being used as an excuse? Something is stopping you from studying and succeeding at school. It’s that “something” which is important. You need to find out what it is. A professional can help you find the answers.

The problem may be anxiety and depression, but diagnosing over the Internet is impossible. You should be evaluated, in-person, by a mental health professional.

Anxiety often follows a common course, and it is commonly made worse when the symptoms are ignored. Ignoring panic attacks will not make them go away. Symptoms of anxiety often require professional treatment.

The most efficient solution to this problem is to seek help from a mental health professional. Therapy helped you in the past and you have every reason to expect it would now, if you were to start again. Choose a therapist who specializes in anxiety. The find help tab, at the top of this page, can assist you in finding a therapist in your community. Please take care.

I Don’t Know What Is Wrong With Me