Home » Ask the Therapist » Borderline Personality Disorder Issues?

Borderline Personality Disorder Issues?

I have borderline personality disorder, and I am having problems expressing my emotions at home for fear of being judged for showing them. I have been called mentally crazy, dramatic, and attention-seeking. I have issues communicating with people. When I was younger, I wasn’t allowed to show my emotions. This lasted for 17 years. Not sure what to do.

Borderline Personality Disorder Issues?

A.

Thanks for your letter. The first thing I would ask is how do you know you have BPD? If you have a diagnosis made by a professional, I would ask that professional about your treatment options. If this is a self-diagnosis I would recommend talking to a professional. As you have stated that you are in college I would make an appointment with the counseling center and ask to be evaluated. This will help you get a plan together that can help.

In the meantime, I would look on our forums to talk with others who struggle with similar symptoms.

Borderline Personality Disorder Issues?