Home » Scalp Picking Addiction

Scalp Picking Addiction

Please, please help. I’ve been scalp picking for a long time now (maybe 3 years), and now it’s getting really bad. I never let the wounds heal and I always pick until it bleeds, it’s something that I have no control of. I’ve tried wearing gloves and other things, but I just can’t stop it. I noticed that I’ve been losing a bit of hair and it’s making me so depressed..

When i pick on my scalp, the whole world stops spinning for a while. I get in transe when i do this.. I could go hours and hours just picking on my scalp and not even notice it. What do i do? Please help me. I’m desperate.

Scalp Picking Addiction

A.

I appreciate you sending your question to us. Scalp picking, or excoriation, is typically classified as an obsessive compulsive disorder. The best information comes from the Trichotillomania Learning Center. They discuss the variety of treatment options, the most promising of which is Cognitive Behavior Therapy, or CBT. You will want therapy conducted by a psychologist trained in CBT who has a specialty in scalp or skin picking. You can check the trichotillomania website for referrals of psychologists in your area.

Scalp Picking Addiction