Home » Disorders » Schizophrenia » Do I Really Have Schizophrenia?

Do I Really Have Schizophrenia?

I am having trouble with everyday life. I find things are getting stranger and more distorted. Sometimes at night I see faces on my wall, I also hear various whispers that keep me from sleeping. Sometimes I want to say something but something else comes out like I’m no longer in control of what i say or think. I also see myself as away from my body like there is a certain haze about. I’ve read about schizophrenia and that it is a brain crippling illness that will last throughout life, I am really worried, though I really hope this is just depression and that I’ll get over it. Should I be worried?

Do I Really Have Schizophrenia?

A.

Anecdotally, some people who begin to experience signs of mental illness (anxiety disorders in particular) fear that they are developing schizophrenia. Perhaps, that is because they perceive schizophrenia as being “the worst of the worst.” The laws of probability dictate that in the majority of cases, they likely don’t have schizophrenia because relative to other disorders, it is rare. It is diagnosed in only one to two percent of the general population.

There is no cure for schizophrenia but with early intervention, it’s highly treatable. Medication is particularly helpful for managing symptoms. Many people with schizophrenia, who have found the right treatment, live an enjoyable and meaningful life.

On the basis of a short letter and without an in-person meeting, I cannot determine if you have schizophrenia. Generally speaking, early treatment is profoundly important for psychotic disorders, like schizophrenia. Your symptoms are unusual and require an evaluation. It’s best to be proactive and to potentially prevent the development of a disorder.

Your next steps should be having an evaluation by a mental health professional. He or she will gather a thorough psychosocial history, assess your symptoms, make a determination about whether a diagnosis is warranted, and recommend treatment. Please take care.

Do I Really Have Schizophrenia?