Home » Not Sure What Is Going On

Not Sure What Is Going On

So I have already been diagnosed with Bipolar type 2. I take Lamictal 200mg and Trileptal 900 mg. Starting Friday I have been having an issues with my inner voice I guess. Not really sure what to call it. But it’s been feeding me random thoughts. Like telling me to harm my self, saying I can’t trust this person, or that this person is lying and will abandon you. My girlfriend said that she found me rocking back and forth in tears saying the voices will not shut up (Friday night is a bit of a haze and no illicit drugs or alcohol were used) and this was a little after I was found cutting my wrist. I understand that this is not a crisis hotline. I just want to know what i need to bring up with my psych in <2 weeks when I see him.

Not Sure What Is Going On

A.

You should report what you have included in this letter but in more detail. For instance, you’ll want to report when you began to hear the voice, what it says to you, how often it occurs, and under what circumstances it occurs. It would also be helpful to report whether the voice increases in intensity when you are stressed or sleep deprived.

You referred to the voice as being an inner voice but are you sure? Is it a voice that you recognize? Many people have described an inner voice that they hear on a regular basis. That’s considered a stream of consciousness and it’s quite normal. Other people hear an outer voice, a voice that they don’t recognize that can be highly critical and derogatory. An outer or an external voice might be indicative of psychosis but there may be other explanations as well.

In general, when you meet with a mental health professional, the more information you can provide about your symptoms, the better. You should also document your symptoms. Having that documentation will assist in determining what might be wrong. I hope this helps. Please take care.

Not Sure What Is Going On