Home » Disorders » Eating Disorders » Eating Disorder: Binging and Purging

Eating Disorder: Binging and Purging

Every innocent diet always turns in to me not wanting to eat at all little by little then, I start to binge and purge large amounts and gain weight back. When I’m binging I feel as if I’m in a trance and all my problems go away until I stop and regret every calorie and feel even more horrible. My weight changes dramatically I either lose/gain a pound a day one week I’ll gain 10 pounds then the next lose them. I can’t stop and I’ve never told anyone. I don’t want to be that crazy person with an eating disorder. I just want to be able to eat like a normal person again and not think about food and calories every second. (age 18, from US)

Eating Disorder: Binging and Purging

A.

It takes courage to ask for help. You have taken the first step by writing in with your question. The next step is to find a therapist who specializes in eating disorders and make an appointment. Therapy is confidential so you don’t have to worry about telling anyone else or being judged.

Eating disorders are legitimate conditions that need to be treated by a professional. You have no reason to feel crazy or ashamed. The only shame is not seeking help for something that is treatable. You may also find help through attending a support group. It can be extremely healing to be around others who are struggling with the same kinds of things that you are. Please honor yourself enough to turn this around before it truly affects your health permanently. You deserve it!

Eating Disorder: Binging and Purging