Home » Depression » My Mom Is Depressed

My Mom Is Depressed

From the U.S.: I’m 15. I’ve been noticing a difference in my mom. She cries a lot more and doesn’t really talk or get out of the house. every time I ask her what’s wrong she just says “its one of those days” but it’s been going on for a while now. I went down her Facebook page and all she has is statuses about how sad and depressed she is.

I was diagnosed with major depression and take antidepressants so in a way I know how she feels. But also my mom’s very sick, she’s been on oxygen since I was about 9, she has COPD. My mom means a lot to me and I really wanna help her because when I went through a bad depression I know she helped me a lot. Any advise would help thank you… :(

My Mom Is Depressed

A.

Your mom is lucky indeed to have such a loving, compassionate and concerned daughter. I’m sure seeing her so depressed and feeling so helpless to help her is frightening.

I wonder if it would help if you just showed her your letter to me and this response. She may not understand that, as someone who has also struggled with depression, you know how hard it can be. Because she is struggling with her health, she may be out of touch with how much she means to you.

I hope she will contact a mental health professional and get some treatment for the depression. Yes, chronic health conditions are very, very difficult to live with. But people can and do learn to embrace their treatment and to live each day as fully as they can. With some medicine and some talk therapy, things really can be better.

The two of you might find it helpful to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8JCzz0tCds

My Mom Is Depressed