Home » Daughter Hates Step-father

Daughter Hates Step-father

My first husband and I had a daughter together. He passed away when she was 5. I remarried when she was almost 11. We had a son and twin girls together. She is now married for 2 months. We got together to exchange gifts for Christmas. My daughter and son-in-law got everyone a gift except for my husband, her step-father. I want to say something because it hurt my feelings as well as his, but don’t know what to say or if I should leave it alone. What is your opinion?

Daughter Hates Step-father

A.

Thanks for your email. Yes, say something. The goal is to express your disappointment and sadness and to explain that it is hard for you to accept gifts when she engages in such a targeted act of exclusion. Speak about your feelings because these are always true and accurate. This isn’t a time to shame or blame. Rather it is a time to talk about your feelings of frustration. Beyond this I would encourage your husband to open a discussion with her. Let them have a direct conversation about the relationship privately without you monitoring it.

Daughter Hates Step-father