Home » Delusional and Not Sure What to Do

Delusional and Not Sure What to Do

I think there is something wrong with me. I am smart, everyone tells me that. I am very smart, that’s what they all say. However, I am also smart enough and brave enough to admit that there is something very, very, VERY wrong with me. I am obsessed by many things but I don’t tell people about it because I’m worried that they will judge me. The lines seem to blur between reality and fantasy. I get unhealthy fears of the non-existent and these are bad enough to make me jump and see delusional things. With my unhealthy obsession, I imagine that I am a part of them and recreate them of the basis of music. I use YouTube for music so I go nuts when I’m going to go on the trampoline and I can’t access the internet or the trampoline is broken. I throw temper tantrums and speak very disrespectfully to my parents when this happens. I know I shouldn’t do this but that doesn’t help. At school, none of these affect me and I’m not sure why. (age 14, from Australia)

Delusional and Not Sure What to Do

A.

Thank you for writing in with your concern. I really appreciate that you are smart enough and brave enough to admit that there is something wrong, awareness is half the battle. Now it is time to use your intelligence and courage to get some professional help. Losing touch with reality is a serious issue, but one that can be treated. Please speak to your parents and/or doctor about being evaluated by a psychologist or psychiatrist soon. Things can and will get better, but not without taking this next step.

Delusional and Not Sure What to Do