Home » Ask the Therapist » Bored of Life

Bored of Life

I’m bored of life, not feeling alive as I used to. My problem seems to not appear to be a problem to many. I have a good life, have money, am in love, but nothing is fun for me anymore.

I used to enjoy video games at least and parties, but now the few things i used to like are even boring. I travel and go on vacations, still nothing makes me happy. I don’t get turned on sexually like I used to.
I am not sad in any way, just bored.

I sometimes think about existence and why humans even have a desire to live, I believe that we have reached an intelligent enough consciousness to perceive that life is futile, or maybe it’s just me. Sleeping is more fun than being awake, when I am asleep, I feel emotions, feelings, and this excitement that I wouldn’t feel in real life. I feel more alive in my dreams than I do in real life. When I am awake, I don’t feel in my body as much as I used to, I feel like I’m not as conscious as I used to be. I don’t know if this would fall under the category of psychosis or depression, but no one has been able to give me a reason. I hope you guys can help out.

Bored of Life

A.

Thank you very much for writing in this question. Boredom is a major culprit in undermining our psychological well-being. I think the fact that you are noticing this lack of feeling bodes well for the opportunity to make changes. Being too bored or too anxious keeps us from engaging in our life. The lack of engagement you feel is at the core of understanding how to correct this.

However, re-engagement doesn’t just happen. You need to specifically set out to try new experiences. Sampling activities will give you a real information about what will grab your interest. The goal is not merely to move away from boredom, but to move toward something that will give you goals to pursue.

To get out of a valley you have to climb a mountain.

Bored of Life