Home » Sociopathy?

Sociopathy?

I’ve been diagnosed with bpd a few months ago by my psychologist that I see weekly, and was recently told that I also show some signs of sociopathic traits as well. How does one function when there is commodity between aspd and bpd? I’ve been told that there’s no difference between someone with sociopathic traits, and sociopathy. (is there a spectrum for how mild/full blown one’s sociopathy could be?) I don’t believe that I have aspd, perhaps she just misdiagnosed me, but I still wanted to ask.

A quick list of things that I’ve told my psychologist (and probably the reason why she thinks I have aspd) are:
1. I’ve abused (still do) animals. Was going to go into detail about it, but decided not to. however, I could do the same to humans if taking a human’s life wasn’t as serious compared to an animal’s.
2. limited amount of empathy, I tend to fake empathy with friends and family, such as pretending to feel angered when my friend is being harassed, or feel sorry for someone when they’re crying, or coming to me to vent.
3. impulsive, and aggressiveness (could be because of my bpd?)
I like to buy a lot of things without thinking about where to place them, as my room is nearly out of space. I also have a habit of wanting revenge if someone has wronged me in any way.

That’s really about it. Do you think I have aspd?
I’m afraid of getting caught, and punished for doing something wrong, such as stealing, lying, and cheating. Thanks.

Sociopathy?

A.

You described several symptoms, which might be consistent with antisocial personality disorder, including: hurting animals (unlawful behavior), lacking empathy, impulsivity, and aggressiveness. To determine the most accurate diagnosis, you should seek a second or a third opinion. It’s impossible to provide a diagnosis over the Internet.

Persons with antisocial personality disorder, have at least three of the following diagnostic criteria: engaged in unlawful behavior, deceitfulness, impulsivity, irritability and aggressiveness, reckless disregard for safety, consistent irresponsibility, and lack of remorse.

You may not think that hurting animals is a big deal but modern cultures, including the American culture, have deemed it as illegal, punishable by fines or jail time. Not only is it illegal, but according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, it is a “crime against humanity.” If you continue to hurt animals, you might face severe penalties, including jail time.

You seem to be focused on a diagnosis but your goal should be treating your symptoms. They are undoubtedly negatively impacting your life and perhaps the lives of others, especially if your behavior would lead to your involvement in the criminal justice system. If you want to change, counseling could be quite powerful for you. I hope you will consider it. Please take care.

Sociopathy?