Home » Ask the Therapist » Relationships » Sexuality » Lose Erection After Putting on Condom

Lose Erection After Putting on Condom

I am a 25 year old guy. I have no problem getting an erection while making out and foreplay, but as soon as I put the condom, I have difficulty maintaining an erection.

This happened for the first time a few months back when I was having sex with a girl I had been dating for a couple of weeks. As we didn’t talk about it, I never heard back from her again.

It happened again for the second time last week with another girl I had just started dating. Just like last time, I didn’t hear back from her again.

The second time I tried a different brand of extra thin condom, but the same problem happened. I have tried masturbating with a condom on and every time I have been able to maintain the erection until ejaculation. I am worried this might happen again. Should I bring this topic up before sex with a new partner whom I’ve known only for a few weeks, and how do I broach this topic the right way? I’d like her to know that I find her very attractive, it’s just I’m just getting nervous. And how do I overcome this problem?

Lose Erection After Putting on Condom

A.

This is an important question. Thank you for asking it. It is very common and some sources identify that nearly half the men using condoms experience it: You are not alone. It is important to note that in your case this is likely to be psychological rather than physical. If you are able to masturbate with it on — then it is likely to be about you anxiety with your partner.

First look at the transition time. The act of stopping to put the condom on may be the problem. Ask your partner to keep stimulating you (or you do it yourself) while putting it on. Staying stimulated rather than getting hard again may help.

Secondly, consider other forms of contraception, like spermicide, which doesn’t protect you from venereal disease in the way a condom does, but is an effective way of preventing pregnancy.

Finally, keep experimenting with different condoms and talking with your partner. As your anxiety goes down and the skill level goes up you are likely to overcome your circumstance.

Lose Erection After Putting on Condom