Home » Depression » Dealing with Major Depressive Disorder

Dealing with Major Depressive Disorder

I have been feeling very lonely and empty lately, and has affected many things in my life currently. I have a history of clinical depression and have been diagnosed with it back in 2009 and suffered for four years intensely being committed in and out of inpatient facilities due to suicidal behaviors for a long time. From fall of 2013 to summer of 2014 I had no issues with depression and decided to move for a fresh start and picked a small ski town which had very little to offer for mental health resources. And about three months ago my depression has slowly been getting worse and worse everyday, I have tried very hard to reach out for help during this time and I’m having huge difficulty because I have to wait three weeks at a time to see some sort of mental health clinician for help. Even worse is that seeing a psychiatrist here means having to wait 2-4 months which is depressing to even thinking about waiting that long. I don’t have a taste for any mood altering substances besides smoking cannabis, I hate alcohol and try to avoid it at all cost. I’m very desperate to get help, it’s been very struggling and have been undergoing major mood swings and high anxiety which makes it very hard to do anything really. If there’s anything this website can do for me, it may make a big difference for me. At this rate of my mood has been, I don’t how much longer I can keep up with this before it starts to seriously affect me in ways I don’t need.

Dealing with Major Depressive Disorder

A.

Access to treatment seems to be your main issue. You may want to utilize the Psych Central discussion boards which allow you to communicate with others who may be experiencing similar issues. The discussion board is not meant to replace mental health treatment but it can provide social support while awaiting access to face-to-face treatment.

Another option to explore is online therapy. Generally speaking, studies show that people who utilize Internet-delivered treatment options for depression have lower rates of depression than people who undergo no treatment at all. Other studies show that online therapy is comparable to face-to-face treatment.

Depression is a highly treatable disorder. Ideally, face-to-face therapy would be your best option. You stated in your letter that you moved to a place where it is difficult to access treatment. Perhaps you should consider moving to a place where it is easier to access treatment. Understandably, you may not want to move again but undoubtedly depression is decreasing the quality of your life. If you have to move in order to seek treatment for depression, I would think it to be both necessary and desirable. You have to do what is necessary to help you to get better. Please take care.

Dealing with Major Depressive Disorder