Home » Ask the Therapist » Parenting » Would Simple Thinking like Child Be Helpful for Stress Management?

Would Simple Thinking like Child Be Helpful for Stress Management?

Hello. These days, I am wondering simple thinking like child would be helpful for stress management or solve the problems in front of me. I used to think too deeply and I feel overthinking is not helpful to solve various problems. Therefore, I came up with thinking like a child, thinking simple. Can thinking like a child help us to manage our trouble? I am looking forward your reply, please. Many thanks.

A.

Hello and thank you for your question. I’m not sure what you mean by the expressions “thinking like a child” or “thinking simple.” I wish you would’ve provided examples or a description.

You did mention feeling that over thinking is not helpful. If by over thinking you mean thinking about something too much and for too long, to the point where it’s no longer helpful, then yes I would agree with you.

Some people do “over think” a problem. At the moment that your thinking is no longer making progress and you have logically exhausted all possible variables, then you are done. It is of course difficult to know when that moment arrives and thus most people “over think” to a degree. It is when it is quite obvious that you are simply spinning your wheels, that the healthy person stops. Less healthy people will just keep going, repeating the same circular logic within their mind. That is obviously not healthy or in the individual’s best interest. Under thinking or over thinking can both be detrimental because neither indicates that the correct amount of thinking has occurred.

Generally speaking, thinking can be judged and evaluated by its accuracy. Thinking that correctly interprets and predicts reality is the sign that your thinking is correct.

Consider writing back and providing more information about what you mean by the expressions: over thinking, thinking simple and thinking like a child. It would help me to better understand your question. I can probably then provide a more specific answer. Please take care.