Home » Ask the Therapist » Being Alone Too Often

Being Alone Too Often

Okay so I have bipolar disorder… and I have no idea if this has anything to do with it so that’s why I’m asking. My mom works 2 jobs so I am home by myself most of the time. Not having someone here to talk to when she is gone is making me feel like I’m losing my grip on reality. I’m paranoid, worried and depressed. I don’t know what’s going on. (age 18, from US)

Being Alone Too Often

A.

A: I don’t know enough about your particular situation to tell you whether the symptoms you are describing are due to Bipolar Disorder or just your current circumstances. It is a major mood disorder so chances are it could be exacerbating things, even if it is not the root of the problem. But in addition to treating the Bipolar Disorder through medication and therapy, there are lots of other things you can do about your situation.

You are old enough that you should not rely solely on your parents for companionship. Again, I don’t know your situation but I would suggest that you find healthy outlets for your time. Getting a job, going to school, or volunteering for a cause you care about are all great pursuits. You could also sign up for fitness classes, art classes or find another hobby that interests you. In other words, sitting home alone is not helping your situation. Take charge and get involved in something larger than yourself and hopefully you will make some new friends along the way. I hope you feel better soon.

Being Alone Too Often