Home » Disorders » Depression » Young Friend Has Recurring Thoughts of Suicide

Young Friend Has Recurring Thoughts of Suicide

A friend of mine is Depressed, has Social Anxiety, Self Harms and recently said she’s going to starve herself. She’s talked about Suicide more and more lately and I’ve been able to talk her out of it each time so far, but it’s getting more difficult and I’m scared that one day she’ll take her life. I don’t know what to do. I’ve talked to her about talking to someone, but she doesn’t think anyone could help. Her family doesn’t know about any of this because she hides it and won’t tell them because she thinks that if she does they will send her away or treat her like she’s weak or crazy. I want to tell her family, but I don’t know them because she’s an online friend. Is there anything I can do to help her?

A.

Your friend is fortunate to have someone who cares about her well-being, but I would advise against your continued attempts to deal with this serious problem independently. This problem requires professional intervention.

If her threats of suicide were made on Facebook, you can submit a report by clicking on this link. You can also contact the National Suicide Prevention Hotline and encourage your friend to contact them as well. They can be reached at 1.800.273. TALK(8255) or by clicking on this link. They may be able to assist you both. It’s most important that you encourage her to reach out for help.

Attempt to contact her family, if possible. You might not have their contact information because you are an online friend but it may be easy to acquire that information with a simple Google search. If so, report your concerns to her family. They would be in the best position to help her.

Finally, ask your parents for their assistance. They may be able to help. Please take care.